Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Asian Goldleaf

Ralph Hulett goldleaf painting
© by the Estate Of Ralph Hulett. Click on the thumbnail to see a full-sized image.

Since today I've been running from one studio to another, posting has been like, minimal. But the above specimen is an R. Hulett painting on gold leaf in the Chinese style...

It's a long way from his usual kind of artwork, but I post it because a) the painting came back into my possession over the weekend, and b) it's shiny, and c) I'm cramped for time.

The painting -- thirty-seven years old -- was a gift from my dad to my grandfather, who owned it for decades. It's somewhat the worse for wear, but you can squint at it anyway...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve your looking at a surface guild, on that gold leaf painting that your dad did there. When I was a sign painter I used gold leaf on all kinds of stuff. Surface guild is the most common way to apply gold leaf, but for window lettering we also used a water guild Process to apply the gold leaf, when it was finished it was the real shinny gold lettering.

Site Meter