Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Essence of Hollywood Thinking

The scuttlebutt in Hollywood is that Spider Man III is the highest budget film of all time. $500 million? $350 million? $270 million? Pick a number.

Sony, I'm told, denies any record-breaking budget, but I hold in my hand a letter from the mucky-muck of a large motion picture company to a producer. And I quote:

As "Spider Man III" will be put out as a big-budget sequel, it will be necessary to have from you at an early date an estimate of its cost. This should be just as high as you can possibly make it and every item that you can possibly think of which can reasonably be charged to the negative added...

So this blows the lid off the denial, right? Just another example of the usual Hollywood greed and perfidy.

But it isn't really Spider Man the exec is writing about. And the letter's not from Sony. I've changed the title of the movie.

It's actually a paragraph that was written before the Spidey franchise.

So here's my question: When do you think the paragraph above was written?

9 comments:

Jim Mortensen said...

Is it referring to Gone with the Wind?

Anonymous said...

It has got to be Hoodwinked.

Michael said...

Thinking of sequels... Godfather Part II?

Anonymous said...

sherk 3.

jeffery kaztemburg

Unknown said...

I seem to recall that happening on Cauldron....

Anonymous said...

apocalypse now

Anonymous said...

nothing compares to Disney's Dinosaur costs.

Anonymous said...

Am I misreading the post? It's a sequel, right? The only thing that was changed was the title? And the question is when, not what movie?

I'd put the when somewhere in the mid '40's given the sentence structure. Have no idea what movie it could be.

Steve Hulett said...

Ah, because I used the title "Spider Man III, I cheated a little, changing the word "special" to three words: "high budget sequel."

See the post above.

Site Meter