Sunday, November 28, 2010

Leslie Nielsen, RIP

A comedy icon passes.

Leslie Nielsen, who dazzled with deadpan in The Naked Gun and Airplane!, passed away on Sunday at a hospital near his home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where he was being treated for pneumonia, according to the New York Times ...

If you're a television viewer of certain age, you first became aware of Leslie Nielsen in the 1950s, when he was a handsome dramatic actor doing feature films like Forbidden Planet and Disney mini-series like The Swamp Fox.

It was only after his hair turned white that he carved a career U-turn and took up comedy. (Mr. Magoo, anyone?) As Mr. Nielsen explained to the New York Times:

“It’s been dawning on me slowly that for the past 35 years I have been cast against type ... and I’m finally getting to do what I really wanted to do.”

1 comments:

zach said...

RIP Leslie. His comedic genius will certainly be missed, the guy always get me laughing hard! Everyone remembers him in the Naked Gun movies, which were great. I also remember him for his small role in Surf Ninjas, one of my favorite childhood movies.

He probably got to Heaven, saw God, and said "I just want you to know, good luck, we're all counting on you"

Site Meter